If I can write a book, anyone can do it. I’ve had the honor of writing six. Here are the ten steps you need to follow…
- Start with an idea
- Brainstorm chapter headings
- Start writing in a word document so you can save it. Don’t worry about format or editing too much at this point, or even the number of words you are writing.
- Post each chapter as a blog post. I was aiming for one a week. You may do more or less.
- At some point, you will realize you are near the end. Take what you have written and begin to edit it. Cut out extra words. Add stories or details that you forgot to add the first time around.
- Go to Kindle Direct Publishing and set-up an account. If you already have an amazon account, you will be able to log in using that. Start working with the online cover editor. Make decisions about the size of the book. Download their template and start formatting your material to the template.
- Order a proof copy. Not required but I highly recommend it. I made some changes after seeing my proof.
- Order your books. I ordered 50 copies originally and within two weeks had to reorder, mainly because I had given so many away. My physical books cost me about $2.50 a copy. I sell them for $12-$15. Digital books are free to make.
- Selling…It helps if you already have a “platform.” In other words, you should have a way to sell the book. In my case, I am a motivational speaker part time and am able to sell the book at my events. If you don’t have a platform, think of how you can create or incorporate one.
- Be realistic. I sold about 5 copies the first month my book was out. Dan Miller of 48 Days fame says it takes two years for a book to really get going. Be persistent and stay encouraged.
I created a course on Udemy that takes you step by step through this process. For a limited time, you can get 50% off the price by using this link.
Udemy offers a full 30 day money back guarantee. Try the course – some have even gotten through the lessons in a few days – and if you don’t think it was worth every penny, Udemy will refund your money.